A lot of people that are just starting to consider owning a guinea pig forget about these litter boxes and everything related to them. They can end up being unpleasantly surprised by the mess. The great news is that the better the litter pan, the fewer toilet-related problems you are going to experience.
Take a quick look at our 10 best guinea pig litter boxes. After that, continue reading for the detailed descriptions for each one of them.
- Ware Manufacturing Plastic Scatterless Lock-N-Litter Small Pet Pan
- Kaytee Hi-Corner Litter Pan
- Marshall Litter Pan
- GloednApple Small Animal Hamster Guinea Pig Litter Tray Corner
- Interpet Limited Superpet Long John Litter Pan
- Rabbit Litter Box Potty Training Corner Pan
- Md trade Rabbit Cage Litter Box
- Kathson Large Rabbit Litter Box
- RUBYHOME Potty Trainer Corner Litter Box
- Humorous.P Rabbit Litter Box
There are so many options on the market nowadays that it might seem pretty much impossible to make the right choice. All you have to do now is choose one out of five litter boxes that will suit your guinea pig’s cage perfectly well. Read on to learn more.
Things About Guinea Pigs and Toilets That You Have to Know
The truth is that you can’t just buy a litter box and assume that your beloved guinea pig will immediately start using it. There are a couple of things about cavies and their ‘toilet business’ that you have to take into consideration first.
Guinea pigs go to the toilet a lot. They are really bad at holding everything in. That’s why they can easily poo or pee on you, while you are holding them. Moreover, guinea pigs don’t really have a bathroom zone in their cage. They like to go to the toilet where they eat and sleep. That’s just the way things work for these little furry balls.
However, there are a few things about the behavior of a cavy that can help you train it to use a litter box. Usually, guinea pigs tend to go to the toilet in the corners of the cage. So placing a litter box in the corner might be a great start.
Another important thing: Guinea pigs tend to use the toilet only in safe places. Even if the cavy has never been in the wild, it still has some instincts left. That’s why the guinea pig is convinced that it has to find the safest place to urinate – to ensure that the predators don’t find it through the smell.
What Does a Guinea Pig Consider to Be a Safe Place?
In most cases, those are dark places. If you have been an owner of a cavy for quite a while, you might have already spotted that your guinea pig likes to go to the toilet in the darkest places of the cage. Those can be the little homes or simply a place that is under a cover of some sort.
Now that you know about these guinea pigs’ peculiarities when it comes to using the toilet, you can begin to train the little thing to use its new litter box. Because no matter how good the pan is, if your cavy is not using it, the thing will end up being useless.
Do You Need to Buy a Litter Pan for Your Guinea Pig?
For your guinea pig, a litter box is not necessary. Instead, you might use guinea pig bedding. Some owners of guinea pigs even construct their own litter boxes. Guinea pigs defecate a lot more than other animals because they have short digestive tracts and poor bladder control. As a result, we recommend making your own or purchasing a litter box, which is one of the items on our list.
Everything You Need to Know About Guinea Pig Litter Boxes
When choosing a guinea pig litter box, there are a few things that you have to take into consideration. The pan itself, for example, has to be large enough, so that the cavy can get inside. Moreover, the borders should not be very high.
What Should You Fill the Litter Box With?
The majority of owners choose to fill their pans with paper-based litter. They are not dangerous for the guinea pig and are easy to clean. Wood-based litters, in their turn, can cause some respiratory problems, so stay away from those.
How Often Should You Change the Litter?
Of course, it totally depends on how contaminated the box is. However, on average, the littler in the pan should be changed every three days or so. When it comes to washing the whole thing, try doing it every other week so that some smell remains.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Guinea Pig Litter Box?
When choosing a guinea pig litter box, keep the following things in mind:
Choose a box that fits your guinea pigs’ age, weight, and other factors. You’ll need a larger box if you have several guinea pigs. The box must also fit within the cage without taking up too much space.
A litter box for guinea pigs should be at least 11 inches long and 2-4 inches deep. For simple access, it should have a low entry point. Simultaneously, the box’s walls should be taller to avoid spillage.
Easy to Clean
The openings of the litter box should be of the right size and won’t get clogged with waste. Consider using an odor- and stain-resistant plastic box to avoid a mess. If the box includes a scoop, it will make cleaning up even easier.
With Hooks or Locks
The litter box should not be easily flipped over by your guinea pig. Look for strong boxes with hooks or anchoring points, which will make it easier to tie the litter box to the wire cage.
Reviews: 10 Best Guinea Pig Litter Boxes
1. Ware Manufacturing Plastic Scatterless Lock-N-Litter Small Pet Pan
- Scatterless Lock-N-Litter Pan That Locks to Prevent Messy Spills
- Made of Durable, Stain and Odor Resistant Plastic
- Locks to Cage to Eliminate Overturned Pans and Scattered Litter
- Plastic Guard and Wire Floor Keep Pets Feet Clean
- Attaches to Any Wire Cage, Easy to Remove and Easy to Clean
Before buying any litter box make sure to check out the dimensions. In case the pan can fit the cage and fit your guinea pig, go for it. This litter pan has a top metal part that looks like wires. Some owners might think that the thing will be hurting the guinea pig’s feet, but it’s up to the cavy to choose. A lot of fluffy balls still love this model.
Moreover, thanks to the metal wire, the feet of your beloved pet will stay clean and fresh. The litter pan can be easily attached to a wire cage to ensure that it doesn’t turn over. The actual box is made out of a special type of plastic that is durable, odor and stain-resistant.
2. Kaytee Hi-Corner Litter Pan
- This item measures 20" across front, 9" tall in back, 2" tall lip on front and 12" front to back depth
- Space saving corner shape
- Designed to prevent messes
- No security locks included
- For ferrets, rabbits, and other small animals
This is a large option for the owners who have a spacious cage or maybe a few guinea pigs. The design is very smart as the high corner help make sure that nothing spills from the pan, while the low borders make sure that it’s easy for the cavy to actually get in the box.
The plastic that the pan is made of is easy-to-clean, as well as odor and stain-resistant. As an additional bonus, you have the opportunity to choose one out of four bright colors.
3. Marshall Litter Pan
- Ergonomically designed for the unique habits of ferrets and integrates the best features of Regular and corner pans.
- A low profile front opening measuring 9 inches wide x 5 inches high and high 7 Inch corners are tall enough for ferrets back.
- The product is manufactured in United States
- Color May Vary
- the best features of regular and corner litter pans
This pan is the perfect symbiosis of a regular and a corner litter box. The low front opening ensures that the cavy can easily get inside, while the high back corner helps everything stay where it’s supposed to stay.
By the way, you can choose the high-back or the lock-on design, depending on what you find will work better for your pet. The high-back model has higher side ‘walls’, so make sure to take that into consideration. The model can be easily hooked up to the cage.
This pan is a great size for those owners who decide to potty train their guinea pigs. There is enough room for any kind of manipulation.
4. GloednApple Small Animal Hamster Guinea Pig Litter Tray Corner
- Size(l*w*h): 23x18. 5x10cm/ 8.97x7. 21x3. 9Inch(approx.)
- Please measure the size before you purchased it.
- Material: Plastic, Package: 1Pcs
- Potty train your small animal, makes the cage easier to keep clean.
- The ideal size is suitable for baby rabbit, chinchillas, small guinea pigs and Ferret, galesaur or other small animals. Please note that the potty is relatively small, and it isn't fit for adult rabbit or relatively large rats.
This is a small option for the owners who are willing to save space. The model has a wire floor panel that prevents things from getting too messy. The actual plastic is durable, strong, and easy to clean. Moreover, it is odor and stain-resistant.
Unfortunately, you can’t choose the color of the pan when you’re placing the order. So all you can do is hope for the best.
5. Interpet Limited Superpet Long John Litter Pan
- The Long John Hi-Side Litter Pan is the perfect litter pan for ferrets and rabbits. It fits easily through the door of most homes, and it's constructed of easy-to-clean, stain and odor resistant plastic
- Long John features a pet-friendly low-entry design, making it easy for pets to get inside and use. In fact, it was specifically designed to conform to the long contour body shape of ferrets and rabbits!
- 11.25" long, 9.5" wide, 7" high.
This model can be easily attached to the cage with the help of hooks. The pan has a low entry to make sure that the little guys can easily get in. And tall sides to make sure that everything stays in and doesn’t create a mess.
The model is made out of odor and stain-resistant plastic. Even though this litter pan has the cheapest price, it does the job incredibly well.
6. Rabbit Litter Box Potty Training Corner Pan
- LARGE SIZE: 11"×9"×6.3" This litter box is specially designed for rabbits, rats, ferrets, squirrels, adult guinea pigs and other small animals whose back length is less than 11 inches.
- STRONG BEARING CAPACITY: The corner litter box is made of high quality environmental plastic.The upper tray has 6 supporting points to hold adult small animals of relatively large size.
- EASY TO CLEAN: The mesh is the right size, so pet poop can easily fall into the box. When the toilet needs to be cleaned, you just separate the top board from the box and rinse it with water.
- SCRATCH PROOF: Plastic will take better care of your pet's feet than iron mesh. The edges of the mesh are rounded and curved, which can effectively prevent their feet from being scratched by the edges.
- HUMANIZED DESIGN: The grates of both sides can prevent the urine from splashing to other places to reduce your clean work. It is fitted with a fixed clasp for the cage, so it is not easily knocked over by pets.
This litter box is ideal for potty training tiny animals. It measures 11 inches long, 9 inches wide, and 6.3 inches deep. It’s constructed of high-quality materials that resist stains and odors.
Grates on both sides will keep the urine from splashing around, as most tiny animals tend to urinate in corners. Pet excrement may readily fall into the box because of the mesh’s size. This will keep your guinea pig healthy and free of illnesses by preventing them from coming into touch with dirt.
Simply remove the top board from the box and rinse it with water when you clean the litter box. The mesh is constructed of plastic, with softened and curled edges to protect their feet from scratches.
Furthermore, the grates on both sides can keep urine from spilling into other areas, reducing your clean-up time. The cage has a fixed clasp that makes it impossible for pets to flip it over.
7. Md trade Rabbit Cage Litter Box
- Material: Made of plastic. Durable and strong.
- Size:11-inch long,8.6-inch wide,6-inch high,3-inch depth
- Rabbit litter box comes with attached cage hooks and holes designed to hold the litter tray securely to your cage
- The ideal size is suitable for adult rabbits, adult chinchilla, adult guinea pigs, ferret, galesaur or other animals is relatively large or adult rats
- Guinea pig potty trainer litter special design is also stain and odour resistant which is hygienic and easy to clean.A wire floor panel keeps messes away from pet
This litter box is great, with its square form and robust metal mesh floor. You can quickly educate your guinea pig to use it. The mesh of this litter box is held in place by tray hooks, allowing it to be securely put anywhere in your pet’s cage. It is also stained and smell-proof, as well as sanitary, and simple to clean.
However, some customers claim that their guinea pig’s foot got trapped in the slots and fractured their feet. Thus, compare the size of the litter box to the size of your guinea pig.
8. Kathson Large Rabbit Litter Box
- ❤MATERIAL: Made of durable, stain and odor resistant plastic. The bottom is reinforced to withstand small animals of 3-8 kg.
- ❤SIZE: 16" L X 11.8" W X 6.3" H. The ideal size is suitable for adult rabbits, adult rats, adult chinchilla, adult guinea pigs, ferret, galesaur or other animals is relatively large.
- ❤CONVENIENT: Add creative drawers, just remove the drawer, pour out the trash, put the mat, put it back, and done. It is not necessary to unlock the entire litter box with each cleaning or to open the grid with your hand.
- ❤Buckle design prevents small animals from dragging the toilet, which designed to hold the litter tray securely to your cage. The special design is also stain and odour resistant which is hygienic and easy to clean.
- ❤RISK-FREE SHOPPING: We are committed to 100% customer satisfaction, so if you find that you are not satisfied with us or our products, please contact us,we will reply within 24 hours, we will do everything work hard to make sure you are 100% satisfied.
Although this litter box is tiny, it is quite durable. It is made of stain-resistant and odor-resistant plastic. The bottom has been reinforced to withstand 3 to 8 kilogram small animals.
Furthermore, the toilet’s buckle design prevents little animals from pulling it. This attaches the litter tray to your cage. The unique design is stain and odor-resistant, as well as sanitary and simple to clean. You might include innovative drawers in your design. Simply remove the drawer, empty the garbage, place the mat, and replace it.
This guinea pig litter box is easy to use and maintain. Furthermore, this item is reasonably priced. Your guinea pig will be pleased.
9. RUBYHOME Potty Trainer Corner Litter Box
- Material: Made of plastic. Durable and strong. The special design is also stain and odour resistant which is hygienic and easy to clean.
- Size:11-inch long,7.4-inch wide,6.2-inch high,2.3-inch depth.
- Rabbit litter box comes with two buckles designed to hold the litter tray securely to your cage.
- The ideal size is suitable for rabbits, adult chinchilla, adult guinea pigs, ferret, galesaur or other animals is relatively large or adult rats.
- HEALTHIER: The design of the gridding in this mat avoid your little pet contact their waste, easy cleaning will prevent your little one from feeling sick of foot. Non-stick surface for easy maintenance.
The litter box is composed of robust and durable plastic. The unique design is stain and odor-resistant. It is also simple to clean.
The litter box is secured in place by two cage bolts. The grate and high walls on the exterior keep things clean inside and out. Furthermore, the gridding pattern of this mat prevents your young pet from coming into contact with their waste, and the easy washing will save your little one from getting weary of their feet. The surface of this litter box is non-sticky, that’s why it is easy to clean.
The size of the grate is the nicest aspect of this. It’s enough for guinea pig feces to fall down. Cleaning the dustbin is as simple as separating the grid from the box and rinsing it with water. The metal bottom net on the litter box makes it simple for excrement to fall and prevents foot discomfort.
10. Humorous.P Rabbit Litter Box
- 1.♥ High Quality Material:High quality pet rectangular toilet, using the best quality safety plastic, strong and odorless. And it is durable and sturdy.
- 2.♥ Large Volume: It is 12*8.5*6 inch. Toilets are large, suitable for Small Animals, Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chinchilla, Ferret, Galesaur.Please pay attention, it is not suitable for adult rabbits or large mice to use.
- 3.♥ Free Gift: When you order it you will also receive these gifts: 1Pc bowknot + 1Pc Triangular bandage +1Pc Mini broom.
- 4.♥ Easy To Clean: Mesh design is large, easy to clean up feces leakage. When the toilet tray needs to be cleaned, it only needs to be disassembled. After removing the toilet, rinse it with water.
- 5.♥ Humanized design: The two sides of the toilet is the smooth guardrail and it can prevent urine splashing to other places, make the cage cleaner. Comes with attached cage hooks to hold the litter tray securely to your cage.
This green litter box is a high-quality pet rectangle toilet made of the highest-grade safety plastic, which is both robust and odorless. It’s also tough and resilient. This measures 12 inches long, 8.5 inches wide, and 6 inches tall. You’ll also get the following bonuses: 1 bowknot, 1 triangular bandage, and 1 mini broom.
It has a removable mesh that makes cleaning simple because all you have to do is remove the mesh and clean the box. Because the mesh surface is free of edges and corners, it is smooth and comfortable for your guinea pigs. The smooth railing on both sides of the litter box may prevent pee from leaking into other areas, keeping a clean cage. The attached cage hooks keep the litter box firmly in place.
Can You Litter Train a Guinea Pig?
Litter training a guinea pig is possible. However, don’t expect this to be a simple task. Compared to other animals, preparing a guinea pig to litter in a box can require a considerable amount of time, patience, and commitment.
Guinea pigs have awful excrement retaining abilities. They will poop everywhere. Litter training will not always be flawless, but it will help to decrease the time and effort required to keep their cages clean.
How to Train Your Guinea Pig to Use the Litter Box?
To train your guinea pig to use a litter box, you can do the following tips:
- The first thing that you can do is simply find out where your guinea pig tends to go to the toilet in the cage without the littler box. If it appears to be the same place over and over again, then it might feel logical to place the pan there.
- You might be lucky and your guinea pig will approach the litter box straight away as soon as you place it in the cage. However, if the cavy seems intimidated by the new object, you can try putting some hay in the litter box. By the way, if the hay smells like urine, for example, then it will be easier for your guinea pig to figure out what the whole deal is about.
- Place the litter box in a corner and cover that part of a cage with a newspaper or small blanket to create a shadow.
- You have to bear in mind that there is a possibility that your guinea pig might never learn to use a litter box. In such a case, do not punish the poor thing as it certainly won’t understand the reason. Accept the fact and show love to your guinea pig no matter what.
Remember that the most important part about potty training is patience as it might be a long journey. However, now you have a choice of at least 10 best guinea pig litter boxes to help you with that difficult task.