In case you are a proud guinea pig owner, the chances are high that you already know that you will need to bathe your beloved pet once in a while. Even though, in general, guinea pigs are low-maintenance animals, there certainly are a few grooming procedures that they need to go through. And taking a bath is one of them.
For those of you who are looking for a list of the best guinea pig shampoos on the market – read the list below.
- Kaytee Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo, 8-Ounce
- Odie and Cody Natural Shampoo, Organic Pet Shampoo
- Kaytee Quick & Clean Critter Dry Shampoo
- Arm & Hammer Tearless Shampoo for Small Animals
- G That’s Awesome Brands Certified Organic Pet Shampoo
- Vetericyn FoamCare Medium Density Hair Shampoo
- Innovet Pet Products Oatmeal & Honey Shampoo
- Mad About Organics Oatmeal Shampoo
- Premium Soothing Gentle Guinea Pig Shampoo
Before choosing the perfect guinea pig shampoo, you have to at least know what to do with the thing. So, we have prepared a simple step-by-step bathing guide for you. Our main aim is to make the whole process as stress-free (both, for you and your guinea pig) as it can possibly be. Read on to learn more.
How Often Should You Bathe Your Guinea Pig?
Bear in mind that it is better to give your cavy fewer baths than too many of them. This is because:
- Guinea pigs have natural oils in their hair that are extremely important for their overall health.
- Cavies are relatively clean animals. Just like cats, guinea pigs tend to lick their fur to get rid of some dirt.
- The whole bathing experience can be very stressful for the tiny guy.
Usually, guinea pig owners give their precious fluffy balls a bath only a few times per year. However, up to one bath per month is considered acceptable. But if you are a great owner that likes to keep the guinea pig’s cage fresh and clean, then you would surely not need to bathe the little fellow that often.
How to Give Your Guinea Pig a Bath?
Giving your piggy a bath for the first time can be quite stressful. But with the help of our simple step-by-step guide, you are going to know exactly what to do.
Step 1: Firstly, you would have to decide where you want to bathe your beloved pet. Would that be a sink or a bathtub? If you choose the latter, then you would be sure that your guinea pig doesn’t climb out. Prepare a cup, one big and one small towel as well as your guinea pig shampoo.
Step 2: Fill the tub or sink with around 1.5 inches of warm water.
Step 3: Put your cavy in the water. Give it a couple of minutes to get used to the new surroundings.
Step 4: With the help of the cup, pour the warm water over the guinea pig. Next, apply the shampoo (you can find the instructions on every bottle). Pour more water over the cavy so that there is no shampoo left. Keep the shampoo and water away from the guinea pig’s face and ears. By the way, you can give different treats to your fluffy ball during the bathing process to help the little thing relax.
Step 5: It is extremely important to dry your guinea pig thoroughly. Use the small damp towel to gently wash the pet’s face. You can try and use a hairdryer on your guinea pig. Some cavies adore the warm air coming out of the dryer. Don’t over-dry the animal’s skin though.
Step 6: Comb the little thing and put it back in the cage. But don’t forget to make sure that the cage is clean, otherwise, all your efforts have been useless.
You shouldn’t be giving your guinea pig a bath if he has a respiratory illness or lives outdoors (the cavy might get sick).
Can a Special Shampoo Be Used to Cure Mites or Lice in Your Guinea Pig?
You can treat mites or lice of a guinea pig using special shampoos. That’s usually how the treatment goes. However, if you suspect that your beloved pet is infested, make sure to pay a visit to the vet first and only then start using the shampoos that he or she had suggested.
On the other hand, you can also give your little friend a bath in case its hair is greasy and dirty or in case your cavy has a parasite or a fungal infection. You can also bathe your guinea pig after it has had a parasite infection to help the little fellow cleanse the skin.
Can You Use Human Shampoo on Guinea Pigs?
Using human shampoo on your guinea pigs is not suggested. The human shampoo contains a variety of chemicals that may be acceptable for humans but is harmful to your guinea pigs. Guinea pigs’ skin and eyes are extremely sensitive, and these substances can easily damage them.
Thus, it is advisable to use guinea pig shampoo. It will not only keep your guinea pigs clean but also eliminate numerous parasites and mites lodged in their skin.
Factors to Consider When Buying Guinea Pig Shampoos
You need to take care of your guinea pig. Thus, in buying guinea pig shampoo, you should consider the following factors:
Natural and organic components should be used to make the greatest guinea pig shampoos. These ingredients should be included in the shampoo’s formulation, assuring that what you’re using is genuinely safe for your pet.
When selecting a shampoo for your guinea pig, look for shampoos that are made entirely of natural components. Avoid items with a lot of unusual components, especially if the substances are petroleum-based. Ingredients derived from synthetics and petroleum might irritate your pet’s sensitive skin and create an allergic response.
Related: 7 Common Skin Problems in Guinea Pigs (Treatment Included)
When you look at the ingredients of the guinea pig’s shampoo, you’ll see that there are chemicals that you should avoid. These chemicals can dry up the skin and coat guinea pigs with sensitive skin. The following are some of the substances to stay away from:
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Artificial colors
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Coat and Skin Type
You must first evaluate your guinea pig’s coat and skin type before deciding on the appropriate shampoo for them. Some of them have extremely sensitive skin. A moderate solution containing aloe vera, rosewater, and oatmeal is required for such pets.
- Dry and itchy skin – Because guinea pigs are prone to allergies, hypoallergenic shampoo is required.
- Longer hair – Longer-haired guinea pig breeds will require a shampoo that contains moisturizer.
- Normal skin and fur – Guinea pigs may be washed with regular shampoos that provide a thorough clean.
People use shampoo for a variety of reasons, one of which is to make their pets smell great. Artificial perfumes might be hazardous to your guinea pig, as previously stated.
The shampoos that you should buy should have natural scents. The majority of natural shampoos do this by including natural oils or other scent-enhancing components. It should be safe for your animal companions as long as the fragrance or aromas are not artificial.
The 9 Best Guinea Pig Shampoos
1. Kaytee Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo
- Totally tearless and pH balanced for safe use on your pet.
- Helps eliminate odors with a long lasting baby powder fragrance.
- You will feel the softness, smell and freshness, and see the shine when you use Squeaky Clean Shampoo.
- For guinea pigs, rabbits, and other small pets
Any guinea pig owner would certainly want the shampoo to be 100% safe for the cavy’s health. This particular product is pH balanced and totally tearless. So, your beloved pet won’t be experiencing any inconveniences neither during the bath nor after (the shampoo does not dry the sensitive skin of the cavy).
The shampoo comes in an 8-ounce bottle that will surely last you quite a while (taking into consideration that guinea pigs do not need to have a bath frequently). Moreover, the formula helps eliminate all sorts of odors to ensure that your cavy is feeling fresh and soft after its pamper routine.
However, some owners confess that the smell of the shampoo might be a little too strong. The product has a long-lasting baby powder fragrance. In case you don’t mind the smell, this Kaytee shampoo will surely become your favorite product.
2. Odie and Cody Natural Shampoo, Organic Pet Shampoo
- VETERINARIAN RECOMMENDED, ORGANIC, PREMIUM PET SHAMPOO. We know how much you love your pet and that you want the best for them. You would never knowingly use products that would be harmful to your pets long term health. This is why we proudly make our product with NO chemicals, artificial colors, artificial fragrances, sulfates, alcohol, synthetic ingredients or any other harmful ingredient that could be absorbed into your beloved pets skin.
- MOISTURIZING, DEODORIZING, ANTI-ITCH, ALLERGY RELIEF, CONCENTRATED Our pet shampoo is formulated to maximize moisturizing properties and to soothe your pets dry skin using only pure, fresh, quality ingredients. These natural ingredients are formulated to deodorize your pets coat and eliminate any lingering pet smells. Because we use premium natural ingredients, with no cheap synthetic fillers, our shampoo is highly concentrated.
- VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, BIODEGRADABLE, CRUELTY FREE. Our commitment is to make healthy products that are both kind to your pet and kind to our earth. Our ingredients are made from organic oils, organic aloe vera, essential oils and rosemary extract (our preservative.) We use recycled materials for our bottles and packaging. Our exterior box is made of recycled paper and post-consumer waste.
- HYPOALLERGENIC DOG AND CAT SHAMPOO WHICH IS SAFE FOR PUPPIES, KITTENS, GUINEA PIGS and more. Our certified organic and 100% natural ingredients make our shampoo safe for adult and baby pets, is hypoallergenic for pets with allergies and is gentle yet effective on your pets skin.
- MANUFACTURER WARRANTY Try Odie and Cody Pet Shampoo risk free. We are so confident in the quality of our product that if you are not 100% satisfied with it, well refund your money. No questions asked. Please note that our product ALWAYS ships from the USA.
Don’t let the price scare you. It might seem like a little too much to spend on this shampoo for your guinea pig. But bear in mind that you will be getting a 16-ounce bottle that you can end up using for years.
Moreover, this product is gluten and cruelty-free, biodegradable and vegan. It is possibly the best organic option available on the market right now. All the packaging is made of recycled materials. The ingredients used include rosemary extract, essential and organic oils, and organic aloe vera. Moreover, the product includes lemongrass that is considered to be a natural defense from fleas.
The shampoo has a fresh, mild smell of lemongrass, so it’s suitable for the owners and guinea pigs that are sensitive to strong smells. Certainly, the product is hypoallergenic, as well as anti-itch, moisturizing, and allergy relief. The shampoo is highly concentrated, so you would literally need only a couple of drops per bath.
3. Kaytee Quick & Clean Critter Dry Shampoo
- Specially formulated no-rinse shampoo gently loosens dirt, dissolves oil and deodorizes your pet's skin and coat, leaving your furry friend smelling as fresh as a baby
- Simple spray on solution for soiled pets
- Non-irritating leave-on formula
- Leaves your pet with a cleaned and conditioned coat
- Fresh baby powder fragrance
This is the perfect option for the owners that just hate giving a bath to their pets. This dry shampoo can become a real savior for the tiny fluffy friends that start panicking every time you get them close to water.
This shampoo comes in form of a spray and all you need to do is put the thing on your guinea pig’s hair and massage the shampoo. The formula helps neutralize odors, loose dirt, and dissolve oil. Just like with the ordinary shampoo mentioned above, the product has a lasting baby powder smell.
By the way, you wouldn’t really want to leave your kid alone with the cavy, while they’re giving it a bath. This dry shampoo will do perfectly well if you want to teach your kids to take care of pets.
4. Arm & Hammer Tearless Shampoo for Small Animals
- CLEANS AND NOURISHES — Best Tearless Shampoo for small animals that will clean and nourish your pet's skin and coat
- NEUTRALIZES PET ODORS — Your small animal will be so fresh and so clean after getting a bath with this mild tearless shampoo
- SIMPLE TO USE — Simple to use small animal shampoo that can be used every few weeks to bathe your furry friend
- FOR ALL SMALL ANIMALS — This enriched formula is pH balanced for small animals and is the perfect rabbit shampoo, ferret shampoo, guinea pig shampoo, and any other small, furry animal shampoo
The price of this product is practically unbeatable. The great thing about it is that the shampoo is tearless, pH balanced, and will be able to neutralize all odors. The product includes baking soda to ensure that the hair of the guinea pig stays fresh and clean.
However, the shampoo does not dry the skin and you can even leave it while bathing for a couple of minutes for an even stronger effect.
5. G That's Awesome Brands Certified Organic Pet Shampoo
- Guaranteed skunk odor removal
- Will not dry or irritate human skin or hands
- GENTLE, GREAT SMELLING AND MILD
- SUITABLE FOR EVERYDAY USE
- REMOVES COW PIES AND GARBAGE ODORS
The product is suitable for guinea pigs that have particularly sensitive skin and different skin conditions. The formula does not irritate or dry the neither animal’s skin or the human’s hands. As an additional bonus, this shampoo even helps to improve the owner’s hands!
This organic product has a pleasant mild smell and removes all dirt and odors extremely well.
6. Vetericyn FoamCare Medium Density Hair Shampoo
- Healing relief for itching, dry skin, hot spots, dermatitis, and more
- Supports optimal skin and coat health: hypoallergenic, skin conditioning, works to enhance your pet’s natural immune system against dermatological disorders
- Restores pet’s skin defenses with anti-inflammatory and cell-proliferating ingredients
- Easy spray application with instant foaming action leads to less wasted product, meaning more washes per bottle
- Safe for every day use to deep condition your pet’s coat and leave them smelling fresh and clean
This product is best for guinea pigs since they have delicate skin. It is a foaming spray-on shampoo developed to cleanse, soothe, and cure your animal’s skin while improving their natural immune system. It nourishes and cleanses the hair, leaving it silky and smells wonderful.
More importantly, it is also safe to use on any animals, including dogs and cats. Moreover, it is hypoallergenic, anti-inflammatory aids in the treatment of hot spots, itching, dermatitis, and other skin conditions. You can trust this brand because it follows strict international requirements and is FDA-registered
7. Innovet Pet Products Oatmeal & Honey Shampoo
- 🐾 ALL-IN-1 DETANGLER, CLEANSER, MOISTURIZER – Made in USA Few dogs love bath-time, that’s why our All-in-1 organic shampoo, conditioner, detangler & moisturizer is the answer to your dog having a healthy skin & coat without all the hassle, time, and cost that comes from using multiple products. The vets’ choice for help with a myriad of issues from allergy issues to offering additional help with flea & tick prevention.
- 🐾 100% NATURAL PLANT DERIVED, NO PARABEANS SULFATES : Grooming products should help not hurt. That’s why our INNOVET PET All Natural Oatmeal & Honey Shampoo + Conditioner For Dogs, Cats & Small Pets is pH Balanced, free of parabens, sulfates, DEA, VOC, Dioxane, perfumes, or synthetic dyes. 100% harmless, hypoallergenic, and non-toxic. VET RECOMMENDED ALL NATURAL SHAMPOO. Give your pet an oatmeal bath with an enriching natural honey infusion.
- 🐾 SOFT ON SENSITIVE SKIN : We took the utmost care to create the best pet shampoo and conditioner, giving you control over your pet’s skin & coat health. Always gentle and soothing, no matter how sensitive and delicate your pet’s skin is. For dogs and cats nine weeks and older. Perfect for younger and older pets who don’t do well with extensive grooming. Brilliant for multiple pet households; equally great to use as a dog shampoo or as cat shampoo & conditioner.
- 🐾 A TRULY UNQUE SCENT, EXCEPTIONAL INGREDIENTS : When your pet needs help with dry and itchy skin, only the best ingredients in a copious fusion will do. Our organic Oatmeal & Honey Shampoo + Conditioner is WHOLE FOODS Approved to show we’ve taken the utmost care with the ingredients. Refreshing and delicate organic oatmeal and honey scent, making it the perfect pet shampoo for dogs & cats whose coat struggles with odors. It’s sure to have other pet parents begging you to know your secret.
- 🐾 HEALTHY & SHINY SKIN AND COAT OR YOUR MONEY BACK : Innovet Pet Natural Oatmeal and Honey Shampoo And Conditioner pet bath is here to help dogs and cats with an array of issues. From speeding up the grooming process to ending excessive shedding to supporting your pet’s coat & skin. For any reason, if the little Furry boss 🐶 🐱 or you are not happy with the product, please let us know and we’ll do anything to make you a happy customer. (NOTE: PRICE IS PER BOTTLE)
This is a high-quality brand that detangles, cleanses, and moisturizes your pet’s coat. This implies that your guinea pig’s skin and coat will be healthy without the difficulty, time, and expense of using several products. This brand is beneficial on a variety of animals, so you can probably use it on them as well.
It’s made entirely of plant-based components, such as oatmeal and honey, and it’s gentle enough for delicate skin. It has a light and refreshing organic oatmeal and honey aroma, making it ideal for odor problems.
8. Mad About Organics Oatmeal Shampoo
- pH Balanced for cats and small animals
- Formulated for 4 weeks and older including pregnant females
- Made in Oregon, USA
- Light fragrant scent
This not only makes guinea pigs smell nice, but it also makes their coats feel nice. It is designed particularly for pets that have itchy or dry skin. Organic aloe vera and oatmeal, the ingredients of this product, soothe skin irritation while hydrating dry and sensitive skin and promoting healing. Furthermore, the shampoo is pH balanced and completely soap-free, fully cleaning and deodorizing your guinea pig’s skin and coat, leaving it stunningly soft, fresh, velvety, and smelling better than ever.
This product is good for those dry winter months when guinea pig’s skin gets dry and itchy. This product is extremely gentle, hypoallergenic, and devoid of petroleum. Any of their solutions have no chemical detergents, synthetic scents, or additional colors. It is designed for animals as young as four weeks old and may even be used on pregnant women.
9. Premium Soothing Gentle Guinea Pig Shampoo
- BEAUTIFUL SOFT MANAGEABLE COAT & HEALTHY SKIN: Our all natural pet shampoo gently breaks down dirt while restoring softness and shine to pet’s fur. Our plant based formula soothes itchy, dry skin and moisturizes the coat using the most gentle ingredients found in nature- Aloe vera, Vitamin E, Shea butter, coconut extract & Lavender oil. The botanical blend relieves itching, reduces skin redness, increases coat strength and promotes healthy coat growth.
- FORMULA FOR EXTRA SENSITIVE SKIN: Our natural shampoo for pets is 100% detergent free, 100% alcohol free and does not contain any harmful chemicals, parabens or SLS, making it a perfect gentle shampoo for animals with allergies and other sensitivities. Our gentle aloe pet shampoo is made using plants and oils to effectively clean and soothe your pet's skin and fur.
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE QUALITY: Our gentle pet wash offers safe professional quality for dogs, cats, puppies, kittens, ferrets, guinea pigs, rabbits and horses with normal or sensitive skin. Our lavender shampoo is suited for all types of fur, leaving coats clean and soft, won’t irritate skin and alleviates itching and dryness. We stand behind the quality of our products.
- PLEASANT LAVENDER SCENT: A wonderful fresh aroma makes shampooing your pet a pleasant experience for you both! Our pet shampoo has a light lavender scent that leaves your pet smelling fresh for days. It is not harsh on your hands and works as aromatherapy for you while bathing your pets because of the natural essential extracts. Your hands will be soft and smell great afterwards too!
- OUR ETHICAL FAMILY COMMITMENT: Proudly made in the USA with locally sourced, sustainable ingredients and animal cruelty free. Our socially responsible packaging is made with recycled materials that are biodegradable and eco-friendly. If you don't love our Gentle Shampoo, please let us know! We are a small family owned business of pet lovers committed to you and your furry friend's happiness!
These natural pet shampoos gently remove filth while restoring the pet fur’s smoothness and gloss. This plant-based product relieves itchy, rough skin and hydrates the coat with nature’s most soothing ingredients: aloe vera, vitamin E, shea butter, coconut extract, and lavender oil. It is detergent and alcohol-free, and it contains no hazardous chemicals, making it an ideal mild shampoo for animals with allergies and other sensitivities.
This pet shampoo has a subtle lavender aroma that will leave your pet feeling great for several days. Because of the natural essential extracts, it is gentle on your hands and function as aromatherapy when bathing your dogs. Your hands will feel soft and fragrant afterward.
Do you want your beloved cavy to smell like a flower, be fresh, clean, and happy? The best guinea pig shampoos mentioned in this article will most certainly help you with that. Best of luck!
List of Sources
Management of skin conditions in guinea pigs