Let’s be honest here. One of the main reasons why the majority of people decides to adopt a guinea pig is because cavies are low-maintenance. They don’t need a lot of food and supplements. You don’t have to take guinea pigs for a walk several times a day. Moreover, it is relatively easy to clean the cage of your beloved fluffy friend.
However, there are still some procedures that your guinea pig has to undergo from time to time. Yes, today we will be discussing the best guinea pig grooming kits. Because if you want to be a great owner to your cavy (which we’re sure you truly want to be), then there are a couple of things about its ‘pamper routine’ that you need to know.
Here is our list of the best guinea pig grooming kits. However, the chances are that you might already have some pieces from the kit in your house. That’s why we have also listed a couple of separate things, just in case you are looking for something in particular.
Keep on reading, if you want to find out exactly what you need to do with your guinea pig and how often the little fellow has to undergo the grooming procedures.
What Procedures Does a Guinea Pig Grooming Guide Include?
Even though the guinea pig grooming process includes quite a few different procedures, they are all incredibly simple and won’t take a lot of your time. In fact, even children can be allowed to take care of the ‘pamper routine’ of a guinea pig.
The procedures include:
- Hair brushing
- Nail trimming
- Dental care
- Cleaning the grease gland and ears
- Checking your fluffy ball of happiness for various skin conditions (you can totally do that during the rest of the grooming process)
Before starting the routine, you have to make sure that your guinea pig is not anxious and that it feels safe. Moreover, it has to be used to being handled. If the little guy doesn’t get stressed out, then the chances are high that it might even enjoy the whole process. Especially the brushing part.
How often should you brush your guinea pig’s hair?
The truth is that the answer totally depends on what breed you happen to have. Long-haired cavies sometimes need to be brushed every single day. While the fellows that are short-haired can be combed once or twice a week.
Narrow-toothed combs designed for pets will work perfectly well on a guinea pig. The ones that are wide-toothed might simply be ineffective. However, if you have a breed with short hair, you can surely use only a soft brush to remove the excessive hairs (guinea pigs do shed). Owners usually recommend using scissors to remove knots, if you are unsure that you’ll be able to remove the tangle without causing any pain.
The good news is that you will need to bathe your cavy only a few times a year (the little ones are not quite fond of bubbly and relaxing baths). Use the products that are designed especially for guinea pigs. Otherwise, the thing might irritate the cavy’s skin.
It’s important to make sure that you have rinsed your guinea pig thoroughly. Then towel-dry the little guy and ensure that it stays warm. By the way, you can try to gently blow-dry your cavy. Usually, the fluffy balls don’t mind it.
Nail trimming might sound like something extremely scary. But the truth is that there is nothing to be worried about. Usually, you would have to trim your beloved pet’s nails every month or two but bear in mind that sometimes the nails can grow even faster. Ideally, you would need a friend to be holding the guinea pig while you have both hands free to focus on the trimming. Simply make sure to not come too close with the scissors to the blood vessels. And remember that some guinea pigs will tolerate only a few nails at a time, so be patient.
This is the easiest part. All you have to do to ensure that the gums and teeth of your guinea pig are healthy and worn down properly is give the little thing enough hay and other yummy things to chew on.
Cleaning the Grease Gland and Ears
No matter if you have a boy or a girl, your guinea pig certainly does have a grease gland. The gland is positioned right at the base of the cavy’s spine, where its tail might have been. You can use a cotton swab to soak the area with coconut oil and then wash everything off with a warm, wet cloth. Examine the ears of your beloved pet as often as you can to make sure that there are no mites, infections or wax buildups.
However, you would need to actually clean the ears only once a month. Dip a cotton swab in mineral oil and gently clean the outer ear. Do not get into the actual ear canal.
Check Your Guinea Pig for Skin Conditions
You can easily do that while brushing the hair of your guinea pig. If you spot any crusts, redness, swollenness, bad smell or any other atypical condition – make sure to take a trip to the vet.
The Best Guinea Pig Grooming Kits
1. Ware Manufacturing Small Animal Grooming Kit
- Safe and effective coat care tools
- Reduces shedding and prevents hairballs
- Promotes a natural luster to your pets fur
- Helps build the bond between pets & owners
- Includes Pin Brush to reduce shedding, Bristle Brush to make fur shine, and Nail Clippers
The kit includes a shedding brush, a soft bristle brush, a pair of nail clippers and a chew treat. The first brush helps reduce shedding and it ensures that there are no knots in the hair, while the second brush will help the hair of your pet become shiny and pretty. Moreover, shedding brushes are great as they make all the excessive hair stay in the brush rather than being all around your house.
The treat is made out of wood and is included in the kit to help you keep the pet entertained while you try to groom it, though we would recommend using some other healthy treat as an alternative.
The important thing is that the nail clippers are 100% safe and easy to use so don’t get scared by their appearance. Moreover, the blades are made thin, this helps you see exactly what you’re doing.
2. Alfie Pet by Petoga Couture – 3 – Piece Pet Home Grooming Kit
- This kit includes massage brush, nail trimmer, soft slicker brush and microfiber washcloth. The perfect selection of necessary grooming tools for small pets at an affordable price. Ideal for small dogs, cats, small animals and some birds.
- Nail Clipper features a scissor grip that relieves fatigue and makes the job of cutting your pets nails or claws effortless. Sharp steel blades ensure exact cut. Comfortable and light-weight design makes clipping easy.
- Slicker Brush helps prevent tangles and remove mats. Brush with long strokes in the direction of the hair growth.
- Massage Brush helps remove excess hair, massage and scrub your pet's coat.
- Alfie Microfiber Fast-Dry Pet Drying Towel is made of a specially designed, ultra-tightly woven material, known for its excellent absorption and ultra-fast drying speed. Measures 12.75" x 12.75" - washcloth size. Absorb up to eight times its own weight in water, quickly allowing you to dry your pet much faster than traditional cotton towels.
Now, this is a pricier option but the kit includes a lot of stuff that your guinea pig is going to need. You will be getting a nail trimmer, a massage brush, a soft slicker brush, and a microfiber washcloth.
These clippers have a great grip so that your hand doesn’t get tired. Moreover, the blades are sharp and lightweight. One of the brushes is great for massaging and scrubbing your little friend, while the second one helps prevent tangles. The washcloth is truly a handy thing. It absorbs a lot of water fast, so you can totally try and use it after giving your guinea pig a bath.
3. Pet Brush & Comb Set For Rabbit & Guinea Pig Grooming
- extra soft wire bristles
- with brush cleaner
- handle with non-slip rubber grip
In case you are looking only for a set of brushes, this might be the perfect option for you.
The set includes a tiny plastic brush that helps break the knots and comb the hair of your pet around the most delicate areas (face and ears, for example). The soft brush is great for removing the unwanted hairs. Moreover, the brush has a special non-slip handle to make the whole process even easier. The plastic material is light and easy-to-clean.
4. Dasksha Brush and Grooming Glove – Small Animal Hair Remover
- Satisfaction Guarantee - If you're unhappy for any reason, simply shoot us an email and we'll make it right!
- Set of 2 Tools - Use the Bunny Glove as a deshedding tool, and use the Pet Hair Remover Brush to remove loose hair from furniture, bedding, and carpets.
- Our Glove and Brush both have soft silicone tips, which are safe for small animals AND your furniture
- Both bunny tools for grooming are 100% washable, making them some of the best, most convenient rabbit and guinea pig grooming supplies on the market.
- TIP: The green Bunny Brush is MOST effective on furniture if it is wetted first.
This tool is a great option for owners who want to try out something new. The kit includes two tools. A glove that will help you brush your pet’s hair and a brush that you can use to remove the loose hair from the furniture, clothes and so on.
The tools have silicone tips so that the glove is gentle on your guinea pig’s body. Moreover, the material is easy-to-wash. The brush can even be used to remove hairs from your carpet. If you use the brush while it’s wet, the effect would be even better. Your guinea pig might love the glove as it is not only a grooming tool but also a great massaging device.
5. Nail Clippers by KittyNails – Professional Clippers Designed by 2 Veterinarians
- PROFESSIONAL STAINLESS STEEL CAT NAIL CLIPPERS - The thick and sharp stainless steel blades is strong and sharp to last for years.
- NOT JUST FOR CATS - These cat claw clippers are designed for medium and small dogs, kitten, cats, rabbits, puppy, birds guinea pig and small pet.
- DESIGNED FOR SAFETY FIRST AND EASY TO USE DESIGN - With reliable grip rubber coated handles ensures a comfortable cat nail trim, no slipping (remove grip) when using these pet nail clippers or nail trimmer for cats ensuring a safe nail trimming experience.
- HIGH QUALITY - These cat nail clippers are quality controlled during the process of manufacturing making this one of the best or top quality professional cat nail clippers and pet nail trimmer on the market.
- DURABLE, SAFE AND EASY TO USE DESIGN - As a premium product, it is designed for durability, lightness, and comfort with its rubber coated handles for a comfortable grip and ensuring a safe nail trimming experience.
If you’re still looking for the best nail clippers, you might want to take into consideration the trimmers designed for cats. These clippers were not only created under the supervision of veterinarians, but they also have a lifetime guarantee. The rubber coated handles will ensure a comfortable grip. Moreover, there certainly won’t be a slipping situation happening, so the whole process is as safe as it can be.
The blades are very sharp, light and made of stainless steel.