The chances are high that you already know how important water is for guinea pigs. In fact, it is one of the most crucial things for the well-being of every living creature.
When it comes to guinea pigs, they should have a constant supply of water at all times. But what is the best way to give that liquid to your beloved fluffy ball? In a bowl or in a bottle?
How often should you change the water?
Are there any other things that you have to know?
You will soon get the answers to all of these questions.
However, if you have been a guinea pig owner for quite a while, you might have already figured out for yourself that a water bottle is much more convenient than a bowl. But there are so many different options on the market nowadays, that it’s sometimes practically impossible to find the one that will be perfect for you. Don’t worry. We have got you covered. We are ready to share our list of the 5 best water bottles for guinea pigs.
Here are the names of the brands and the models, if you are in a hurry. But if you want to know exactly what makes these water bottles so good, then keep on reading our article:
Should you Use Water Bottle or a Water Bowl for Guinea Pigs?
Even though guinea pigs do not drink as much water as some other small pets do, they still need to have a bowl or a bottle full of water all the time.
What kind of water do guinea pigs drink?
Well, there is one simple rule. If you won’t drink it, then your cavy shouldn’t drink it as well. Of course, the water has to be fresh and still.
Ok, but what can you use to actually give the water to the guinea pig?
Bottles and bowls are the most popular options. Bowls are usually cheaper. Moreover, some cavies might find it easier to use water bowls. Especially, if the little ones have never used a water bottle before. By the way, bowls can be great for sick or old guinea pigs that might simply find it hard to raise their head and drink from the bottle. Unfortunately, this is where the pros of a bowl come to an end.
Dishes certainly are more ‘filthy’ than bottles. Everything starting from food and ending with your guinea pig’s bedding will get into the bowl sooner or later. Of course, that means that the water can no longer be used as it is contaminated. Guinea pigs like to run around and sometimes they don’t really care if they’re stepping inside a bowl or not. As a result, your cavy and the whole cage might get wet, so you would have to clean the thing more often. That is why so many guinea pig owners opt for water bottles.
They certainly are a much cleaner option. However, you have to make sure that the bottle actually works and that your pet understands how to use it. All-in-all, the water has to be changed daily. But if you find some dirt or strange pieces in the liquid, then you have to change it more often. In case you have a water bottle, the inside has to be thoroughly washed with a brush at least once a week to ensure that there are no algae.
Parts of a Guinea Pig Water Bottle
A cavy’s water bottle is not a very complex device, but there still are some things that you have to know.
- The material from which the bottle is made can be different. However, a lot of guinea pig owners recommend buying a glass option as it is easier to clean those. But bear in mind that glass water bottles are a bit pricier.
- The nozzles are the actual ‘tubes’ from which your fluffy ball will be drinking. Nozzles can be of different sizes and even shapes. Look for a water bottle that has a nozzle that is a bit bent at the end. Moreover, the thing has to be long enough to ensure that your guinea pig can easily reach it.
- The bob is a sphere at the end of the nozzle that your cavy has to push in order to get that water. Always check the bob to make sure that it ‘works’ and that water can get through.
- Some water bottles have grids and some don’t. Experts usually recommend getting a device with grids as it is easier to keep track of how much your pet is drinking.
- Don’t forget to pay attention to the hangers that the water bottle comes with. The hanger needs to be able to hold the bottle firmly on the cage so that your beloved pet can safely get a drink whenever it feels like it.
5 Best Water Bottles for Guinea Pigs
1. Choco Nose H128 Patented No Drip Small Animal Water Bottle
- U.S Patented Leak-proof Nozzle/ No Drip Small Pet Water Bottle / BPA Free / 11.2 oz Capacity
- Mini-Sized Nozzle (10mm) is recommended for Guinea Pig, Ferret, Hamster, Bunny
- User Friendly Screw-on bracket: Simple and Easy Installation. You can easily snap the water bottle on or off for cleaning and refilling water.
- Nail-on bracket: It may also be nailed to the wall or wooden furniture with screws. Eco-Idea: Pet owner can switch our bottle to most regular sized PET bottles (Soda Bottle).
- Important Instruction: Please check the water bottle daily and after every refill by tapping the metal ball inside the nozzle to ensure water coms out. The water bottle is ready to use when air bubbles occur as you tap the metal ball.
The best part about this water bottle is its leak-proof nozzle. The biggest problem with these devices is that they start leaking at one point or another. Owners then have to come up with different ways to stop the bottle from leaking or simply buy a new one. Moreover, a dripping bottle also means that the cage and the pet will always be wet and dirty and you would have to spend a lot of time on cleaning up and changing the bedding, for example.
Even though you can get a Choco Nose for an affordable price, you can be sure that the situation mentioned above, simply won’t happen (in case you use the device properly, of course). The materials used are BPA-free, so the bottle is 100% safe for your pet. The 10 mm nozzle can be easily placed on a bigger bottle if you like. The bracket is a screw-on as well as nail-on, so you can simply decide what works better for you.
As a small yet pleasant bonus, you have the opportunity to choose one of the three colors of the bottle.
2. Kordon Oasis (Novalek) SOA80304 Bell Bottle and Hold Guard Small Animal Value Set
- Value set consists a rigid plastic bell bottle and basic Hold-Guard designed specifically to fit the bottle accurately and safely
- Suitable for small animals like mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters and hedgehogs
- Rounded bottle top discourages chewing and protects water bottle from chewing damage
- Adjustable strap hangs over top edges of most wire cages and aquariums
- Available in 4-ounce size
This surely is a pretty water bottle. So if you have been looking for something that looks cute, then this might be your choice (there is a variety of colors that you can take into consideration).
The device consists out of two parts: the actual bottle and a basic hold-guard to fit the bottle. The top is rounded to ensure that your beloved pet does not chew on it (the bottle is made out of plastic). The only downside is the installation process. If you have an aquarium or a cage where the wires run horizontally, then you won’t have any issues as the adjustable strap can be easily hung over the top edges.
3. Guinea Pig Water Bottle B.C.
- No leak:The hamster bottle designed with premium roll ball,prevent leaking and avoid your hamster spilling out the water.
- Steady Base:Made of durable plastic and metal,our hamster drinking bottle can stand up steady on its base,no worry about tipping over,keep your hamster safe.
- Suitable Size&Object:The water bottle holder volume is 80ml,the tall is 13cm / 5''and the diameter is 4.5cm / 1.75" ,which is suitable for small animals,like dwarf hamster.
- Safety&Cleaning:With the premium non-toxic material,anti-odros and anti-dust,safe to use and easy to clean.
- Choice&Note:There are five colors provided for your hamster.Strongly recommend as a gift for families and friends.Please buy with confidence,your after sale is guaranteed.
This water bottle is totally different from the ones that we have mentioned as it stands on a steady base. Moreover, the device has a hole that your guinea pig can use to play! This water bottle is a two-in-one and that’s great because guinea pig cages don’t really have too much space to waste. By the way, the base really is steady, so you don’t have to worry about your guinea pig tripping the thing over.
However, take the dimensions of the hole into consideration, to make sure that your fluffy ball is not too big for the thing.
4. Choco Nose H220 Patented No Drip Top-Fill Small-Sized Water Bottle
- US Patent- Patented leak-proof nozzle (nozzle diameter:16mm) Recommended for Small Size-Dog or Cat.
- This water bottle is NOT Recommend for small animal, such as Hamster, Guinea pigs, etc.
- Screw-on bracket: Insert the drinking tube through the wire cage side or crate door, add the screw-tight bracket by checking position of the bracket's snap-fit attachment, and tighten the screw fitting from inside the cage. Then you can easily snap the water feeder on or off for cleaning and refilling.
- Hang-on bracket Snap the hook bracket in one of the top 2 grooves in the bottle. Hang the bracket over the appropriate cross wire. The screw on bracket may be added for extra security.
- Easy to adjust the height of the water bottle and Refill the water from the top of the water bottle
This model also has a patented leak-proof nozzle but it’s a bit bigger this time (16mm). The installation process is incredibly easy. You can either hang the device or screw it on. After that, the actual bottle that needs to be refilled or cleaned can be snapped on and off without any inconveniences. By the way, you can refill the bottle from the top without even moving the thing.
Another huge ‘pro’ is that you can adjust the height of the Choco Nose water bottle.
5. LIXIT Natural Wide Mouth Water Bottle for Pets
- Just The Right Size: This Water Bottle is the Perfect Size for Rats, Hamsters,Guinea Pigs, Small Ferrets, Dwarf Rabbits and Other Small Pets
- Weather-Resistant: Weather-Resistant Materials Make This Wide Mouth Water Bottle Ideal for Both Indoor and Outdoor Habitats
- Easy Refills and Cleaning: The Wide Mouth Design Makes It Easy to Fill and Simple to Clean
- Leak Proof: Stainless Steel, Double Ball-Point Tube and Special Silicone Seal Prevents Leaks
- BPAfree: BPAfree Plastic Delivers Safe Drinking Water for Your Small Pet
The cheapest option on our list. However, it does the job perfectly well. Moreover, the design is as simple as it can be, chew-proof and climb-proof. A lot of clients mention that this is the best water bottle when it comes to cleaning because you can easily brush the inside. The capacity of the bottle is great (16 oz), so your guinea pig should have enough water to go through the whole day.
Important point: to prevent leakage make sure to fill the bottle up to the top and only then flip it over. Such a technique will create a vacuum that is necessary to avoid dripping.
We sincerely hope that we’ve managed to make things a bit easier for you. Though on the whole guinea pigs are low-maintenance, there are still a lot of things that you have to take into consideration if you want to be a great owner. Starting from buying one of the best water bottles for guinea pigs is a great idea!