You might be surprised to hear this, but toys can be just as important for the overall health of a guinea pig as a well-balanced diet, for example. But, of course, you wouldn’t want to simply throw the toy inside the cage of your beloved pet without doing some research about what toys they actually like to have.
However, there are so many options on the market nowadays that you might find it extremely hard to find the toy that would be just right for your cavy.
We have prepared for you a list of the best guinea pig toys in 2019 to make things a bit easier for you. But bear in mind that cavies have very strong personalities. One furry friend might enjoy playing with a willow branch ball, while you won’t be able to get the other one out of the pet tunnel. Having at least a few toys that your beloved cavy would be able to pick from is a great idea.
Thankfully, there are at least 10 amazing options to choose from. You will find a detailed description of every toy in the last segment of our article.
Why Toys Are Important for Guinea Pigs?
Toys are not something ‘extra’ that you can treat your guinea pig with. In fact, they are a real necessity for the little guy.
Guinea pigs are incredibly emotional animals and, in a lot of ways, they resemble us, humans. The truth is that these fluffy balls can easily get bored. Especially, if they spend all their time inside a cage where you don’t really have a great variety of activities.
Firstly, toys can help keep your beloved guinea pig in great shape. It will be running around and playing and that certainly is a great exercise.
Secondly, cavies are intelligent animals. Toys can totally provide the mental stimulation that guinea pigs need.
In the worst case scenario, the little guy might get bored, fat and even depressed. All these things combined can surely affect the physical health of the cavy and its lifespan.
What Are the Different Types of Guinea Pig Toys?
Fortunately, guinea pigs do not need toys that are too complex and expensive. In fact, you can even manage to create a couple of things all on your own.
Cavies love different tunnels and houses that they can climb in and out of. However, usually, the absolute favorites are the toys that can be chewed on. Those can be cubes, nests, balls and hanging things made out of hay, branches, fruit, what not. But bear in mind that you have to always check the ingredients of the toy that can be chewed on by your guinea pig to ensure that all of them are safe. You can follow one simple rule – the more natural the toy the better.
Don’t pack the cage with dozens of toys. Especially, if it has a small size. Guinea pigs should still have plenty of room to be able to run around. Two or three different toys would do just fine.
By the way, it’s a great idea to switch the pieces from time to time, so that your fluffy little friend gets the variety that it needs.
10 Best Guinea Pig Toys in 2019
1. AUOKER Apple Sticks Pet Chew Toys
- [Organic and Pollution Free] - Ideal for chewing food, Promise Organic Management and Pollution Free. Note! Note! Note! Oaken.OC9 is the legal seller designated by AUOKER brand on Amazon. The products sold by other dealers, AUOKER will not bear any legal responsibility. If other sellers sell counterfeit products of AUOKER, you can file a complaint and apply for the AZ lawsuit.
- [Promotes Healthy Teeth] - These apple chew sticks help grind down their constantly growing teeth. They also gives diversion and helps in preventing your pets to chewing their cage and other furniture.
- [Toys and Accessories for Cage] - This is our new product made from a combination of natural grass cakes and apple sticks. The metal hook can be mounted on pet's cage.
- [Great Gift for Pet] - For guinea pigs, chinchilla, squirrel, rabbits, parrot, hamster, gerbil and other rodent species.
- [Good for Digestion] - Twigs and branches also have other health benefits other than dental care. They provide roughage which is good for digestion and may aid in relieving intestinal inflammations and mild pain.
This is a great chewing toy made out of apple sticks and natural grass cakes. By the way, all these eatable toys will keep your pet away from chewing the cage or furniture. Moreover, these sticks and cakes are great for the guinea pig’s dental health as they help wear down the teeth.
The toy can be easily mounted on the cage.
2. Kaytee Perfect Chews for Guinea Pigs
- The Perfect Chew for guinea pigs includes orange slices, wood balls, a wood log and a block in brilliant orange, red and yellow colors
- A completely chewable toy with a metal attachment hook make it easy to hang in any habitat
- Helps reduce boredom in small animals and provide your pet with hours of playtime fun
- Pet safe natural chewable material
- For guinea pigs or other small animals
An affordable and colorful option. The chew is made out of wood balls, orange slices, and a wood log. The toy comes with a hook so that you can easily attach it to the cage. Your guinea pig will love the different textures, shapes and vibrant colors.
3. Rosewood Boredom Breaker Small Animal Activity Toy Floral Hanging Basket
- Made from rattan and other pet safe materials.
- Hang in and brighten your pet's cage, Pets will love to chew and destroy!
- Ideal for all small animals
Let’s be honest, we want the cage of our beloved pet to be both, clean and pretty. Thankfully, there are a lot of toys on the market nowadays that will not only become entertainment for your cavy, but also a beautiful decoration for its cage.
This cute basket is made out of rattan, non-toxic glue, and pet-safe dyes. Your guinea pig would be happy to chew on the flowers and, ultimately, destroy them.
4. Trixie Natural Living Bridge
Now, if we were to name a real ‘classic’ then it would certainly be a natural bridge. There are so many things that your cavy can do with it! Climb around the bridge, hide under, chew the sticks… The thing is made of real beechwood material. If you want, you can bend the bridge so that it suits the cage more.
However, do check the dimensions before purchasing to ensure that it’s neither too big for the cage nor too small for the cavy.
5. Rosewood Naturals Hay ‘n’ Hide Medium
- The original and the best hay roll
- An extra thick parchment roll coated inside and out with delicious meadow hay
- Ideal added daily to your pet's main diet
- Measures approx 25cm x 15cm dia
- Made only from 100% natural ingredients
A hay roll is one of the simplest yet one of the best ways to keep your guinea pig entertained. Basically, this thing is a parchment roll that has been coated inside and out with hay and, sometimes, little twigs. The ingredients are 100% natural and the roll itself is quite big, so your guinea pig won’t be able to destroy it in seconds.
6. Naturals Dandelion Roll ‘n’ Nest
This woven grassy ball is 100% natural and quite large (15cm). It is made out of dandelion, marigold and meadow hay. The great thing is that the nest doesn’t contain any glue, so it’s absolutely safe for the animal. Moreover, your guinea pig can try and get inside the toy which will also be entertainment on its own.
7. Kaytee Igloo Hideaway
- Made of durable Plastic, igloos are easy to clean and stain resistant
- Encourages natural nesting instincts in small animals
- One piece construction
- Ideal for hamsters, gerbils, pet rats, and other small animals
- Igloos come in assorted cool colors and they're made of translucent plastic so you can see your pet inside
The chances are high that your guinea pig will end up living in this colorful igloo! It’s just the perfect place to hide. Moreover, the thing is easy-to-clean, odor and stain-resistant and made out of durable plastic. As a bonus, you can choose one out of four bright colors that would suit your cage.
Don’t forget to check the dimensions of the entrance to make sure that your guinea pig can get in.
8. Prevue Pet Products Multi-Color Small Pet Playpen
- 9 panels each. Wire spacing : 3/8
- 13" long by 9" high panels create a 36" Diameter play area
- Ideal for Hamsters, mice, Gerbils or other small animals
This piece is a must-have for the owners that like to let their beloved guinea pigs run around a certain room in the house. In such a case, you would certainly need a playpen.
This particular one includes eight colorful panels that are made out of pet-safe powder coated steel mesh. Bear in mind that a cover mat is sold separately.
9. WINOMO Pet Hammock Hanging Toy Snuggle Hut
- Perfect pets hut: Nice house choice for your squirrel, chinchilla, guinea pig, rat and other samll animals
- Super soft texture: Supple material enable your little friends to cozily enjoy the comfortable touch
- Easy to use: With anti-rust and corrosion resistant 4 clip chains for convenient and portable hanging
- High quality: Frim structure with refine stitching for durable and long-lasting use
- Not only a hammock bed. But also a hammock toy for your little pet
A great hammock bed and toy for your cute cavy. The thing has four clip chains so that you can easily hang it. The chains are anti-rust and corrosion resistant. The hammock itself is made of a soft and cozy material. The stitching is of amazing quality to ensure that the hammock does not fall apart. Guinea pigs love to use this toy as a hideout or a sleeping area.
10. Living World Hay Feeding Station for Pets
- Easy and fun way to feed hay to small animals
- Encourages natural foraging behavior
- Helps keep hay clean
- Accessible the front and back of the wheel as well as the sides
- Measures 5.1-Inch L x 5.1-Inch Width x 7-Inch Height
If guinea pigs need to eat hay anyway, why not turn the process into an exciting journey?
The front, the back and even the sides of the wheel are accessible for the cavy. Your beloved pet would have so much fun spinning the thing and rolling it around. Moreover, such a wheel is a great way to keep the cage relatively clean from hay.
Now you have a great variety of amazing guinea pig toys to choose from. We would recommend having at least one chew toy in the cage and a hideout or a bridge, for example, which will make your precious cavy exercise a little more.
Choosing the perfect toy for your guinea pig can certainly become entertainment for you as well. However, even if you think you have found the best toy out there, don’t be afraid to try out new things also. The manufacturers keep coming up with great toys every year.