Frankly speaking, it’s relatively difficult to find a large guinea pig cage. Yes, there are plenty of options on the market today. But the truth is that the absolute majority of those cages are way too small for even one guinea pig. Cavies are active and curious animals that need a lot of exercise. And a large cage is something that the little guy simply has to have!
To help you out a bit, we have come up with our very own list of top 4 best large guinea pig cages to buy in 2019. These cages have the right dimensions, great rankings, and are easy to clean.
Make sure to get to the very end of the article in order to read our reviews. However, if you are in a hurry, here is the list of the best large guinea pig cages:
What Is the Perfect Size for a Guinea Pig Cage?
First things first, we have to figure out what is the right size for a guinea pig cage. Of course, the dimensions will depend on how many guinea pigs you plan to have. Two guinea pigs would need a cage that is 10.5 square feet. Three guinea pigs will feel great in a ‘home’ that is 13 square feet and so on.
But what is the minimum cage size approved by veterinarians?
Look for one that is at least 7.5 square feet. That’s a cage that is approximately 30 inches wide and 36 inches long. Bear in mind that those are the adequate dimensions for a cage that will become home to one guinea pig. 7.5 square feet can be enough for two piggies, but you would certainly want to get a larger option to avoid conflicts between the two cavies.
If you happen to find a cage that is bigger than the dimensions mentioned above, then that would be even better for your beloved pets – read more about ideal sizes for guinea pig cages.
Location: Where to Put the Large Guinea Pig Cage?
Once you find the perfect guinea pig cage (with the help of our guide), you will need to figure out where to put it in your house. To be honest, there are quite a few different things that you have to take into consideration.
The Place Has to Be Quiet
Guinea pigs have sensitive ears. Moreover, these creatures can easily get stressed out and loud noises can frighten the fluffy balls a lot. So, make sure to place the cage away from your TV. The quieter the room, the better. However, don’t put the little guy in a room that no one uses. Guinea pigs are social animals and they like to be around people.
The Room Should Be Warm
There is an optimal temperature range that guinea pigs can live in. The little guys don’t like the temperatures that are too high or low. Make sure to take that into consideration. It is ok to make the room a bit warmer with the help of a heater. Simply use it only when you are around and place the heater away from the cage as it is full of hazardous elements.
The room should also be draft-free, with low humidity and with enough natural light. The cage should not be placed in the bathroom or in the laundry room as the humidity can get high. Natural light is important, but the little fellows should not be placed under direct sunlight as they can easily get a heatstroke.
Don’t Put the Cage on the Floor
Firstly, during winter it might get a bit too chilly for the piggies as the floor is usually cold. Secondly, in case you place the cage a little higher, the guinea pigs will stop seeing you as a scary giant. Moreover, even if you are simply walking around a cage that is set on the floor, it will cause a lot of stress to the animal.
By the way, it’s much easier to clean a cage that is set a bit higher than the floor. Put the guinea pig’s home on some wooden panels, for example. Or get a special table.
Can You Place the Guinea Pig Cage Outside?
It is not recommended to keep the cage with your guinea pigs outside all the time. It might get too cold during winter. Moreover, weather conditions might simply not be suitable for guinea pigs. And the place where you live might also have some wild animals running around.
However, during the summer you can take the cage outside from time to time. In such a case, make sure that the cage is made out of waterproof materials, that the little guys have a roof above their heads and that the cage is not placed under direct sunlight as cavies can’t regulate their body temperature very well.
Review: Top 4 Large Guinea Pig Cages to Buy in 2019
If you want to be a great owner to your guinea pigs (which we are sure you do), then the first thing that you would have to do is get a properly sized cage. Of course, the perfect cage should have the right dimensions. That’s exactly what was the main standard was for our top 4 large guinea pig cage list. If you need only a cage for two guinea pigs, check out our other guinea pig cage review.
Some of the options are more on the pricier side. But a large guinea pig cage is something that you can invest only once and then let your guinea pigs enjoy using it for the rest of their lives. Let’s start with the reviews!
1. “Guinea Habitat” Guinea Pig Cage & Accessories by MidWest
- Provides 8 square feet of living area for Guinea Pigs as recommended by Veterinarians and Breeders. Assembled product dimensions (Lenght x Width x Height): 47 x 24 x 14 inches
- Fully removable wire mesh top to protect your Guinea Pig from predators. The multi access folding top and divider panel with hinged "lock in place" ramps/doors separate play and care areas
- Durable, leak proof, washable and easily removable PVC lined canvas bottom allows for easy care and maintenance while providing traction and protection for Guinea Pig's sensitive feet
- 14 inches high sides provide for secure and convenient access to Guinea Pigs. Great Guinea Pig cage for indoor or outdoor use. Sets up in minutes, no tools required for assembly
- Ideal for first time Guinea Pig owners and "cavy" enthusiasts as well. Includes 1 Year Manufacturer's Warranty
This option, for example, will provide 8 square feet of living area. That’s a really great size for your guinea pigs! The exact dimensions are 47 x 24 x 14 inches. The bottom is made of PVC linen canvas. You can easily remove it, whenever you need to wash it. It is durable and leak-proof. Moreover, guinea pigs tend to get various unpleasant foot conditions, if they live in a cage with a wired bottom. This linen canvas will help make sure that the gentle feet of your precious pets are protected.
The wire mesh top is removable. Moreover, it can easily fold for your convenience. The cage also comes with a divider panel with ramps and doors, so that you can organize the thing the way you want to. It is extremely convenient as you can have separate eating, playing and sleeping area.
The cage can be set up only in a few minutes and you don’t need any tools to do that. The cage is suitable both, for outdoors and indoors use.
2. AmazonBasics Pet Habitat
- Jumbo small-animal habitat for pet rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets, or chinchillas
- Iron wire upper frame and PP plastic base; large top and front openings for easy inside access
- Includes non-drip water bottle, hay guard, and balcony with access ramp and tip-proof food dish
- Hide-away space underneath balcony for privacy; simple assembly (no tools needed)
- Measures 48.6 by 26.6 by 20.6 inches (LxWxH); weighs 18.7 pounds; backed by an AmazonBasics limited 1-year warranty
The size of this jumbo cage is 48.6 x 26.6 x 20.6 inches. You can choose to get this model in a large or a standard. However, the jumbo option is perfect, in case you are planning to have two guinea pigs. The bottom is made of PP plastic and the top is an iron wireframe. The model has a relatively large top and front openings to ensure that you experience no difficulties changing the bedding, water, etc.
In case you decide to get this cage, you will also be getting quite a few accessories for the price:
- hay guard
- balcony with an access ramp
- tip-proof food dish
- non-drip water bottle
By the way, there is a great hideaway place under the balcony (a thing that you usually have to buy separately). It’s easy to assemble this model, tools won’t be needed.
3. Living World Deluxe Habitat
- Habitat that provides everything you need for safely housing a small animal
- The hybrid cage, consisting of an upper wire frame and a plastic bottom base, provides a safe, well ventilated and comfortable place for small pets
- Includes a balcony with an access ramp and a tip proof food dish that secures to the balcony floor
- Available in X large size. Rabbit cages and guinea pig cages need to be kept dry and cleaned regularly to make sure your pet is happy and healthy
- Measures 46 8/9 inch length by 22 4/5 inch width by 24 inch height
This is a more ‘stylish’ option with a red upper wireframe (the rest of the wire is white). The base is made out of plastic and it is easy to clean. You can get this cage model in three sizes: standard, large and extra-large. However, we would recommend getting the biggest one. The measurements are 46.9 x 22.8 x 24 inches. By the way, this cage includes:
- water bottle
- food dish
- hay guard
Practically everything that your guinea pig would need accessory-wise. You wouldn’t need any tools to assemble the cage. Moreover, the wire top part can easily be opened in two parts to help you with the cleaning.
4. MidWest Homes for Pets Wabbitat
- Rabbit Cage includes FREE hay feeder, water bottle, feeding bowl & elevated feeding area | Ideal for Rabbits, Guinea Pigs & Chinchillas
- XL Rabbit Cage measures 47.16L x 23.62W x 19.68H inches providing a large living space & maximum comfort
- Rabbit Cage features 5.5" deep base to contain litter & convenient top / side door access
- Rabbit cage is compatible w/ both extensions to create an even larger living space (wire: 158WEX or wood hutch: 158HEX)
- No tools required for assembly & Rabbit Cage includes a 1-Year Manufacturer's Warranty
Basically, this is an XL rabbit cage, but it will work perfectly well for your guinea pigs. The measurements are 47.16 x 23.62 x 19.68 inches. The model includes a hay feeder, a bowl, an elevated feeding area, and a water bottle. The great thing about this option is that you can get some extensions to make it even bigger. Those include a wire extension and a hutch extension.
With the cage, you will be getting a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty. The plastic base is deep enough to ensure that all the littler stays in the cage. The wire has a convenient top and side door access. You can quickly assemble the cage without any tools.
Those were our top 4 large guinea pig cages to buy in 2019. Take your time, read all the reviews carefully, and make the best choice.
Related: Top 10 Best Guinea Pig Cages In 2019