Can Guinea Pigs Eat Popcorn? 

Our pets, more than wild animals, have special needs, just because they are limited in space and to its owner’s wishes. We are the ones deciding how much time our pets spend outside or what they will eat during the day. A lot of pets will eat almost anything you give them, even if that type of food is not good for them. 

Anyway, diet is important for pets because a healthy diet will determine if your pet is going to be healthy or not. In the case of guinea pigs, they cannot eat a lot of things, so you need to be extra careful about their diet. In this article we are going to talk about popcorns and if guinea pigs can eat them. There is also a move that guinea pigs do when they are happy called popcorning because they just well “pop” in the air out of happiness.

So, can guinea pigs eat popcorn? Sadly, I have to say that guinea pigs definitely shouldn’t be allowed to eat popcorn. This is because popcorn has no benefits for them, and besides that, popcorns can cause a lot of problems for your guinea pig. To be more exact, industrial popcorn contains a lot of salt and even sugar. Also, guinea pigs can’t eat processed foods. These are some of the reasons why popcorns are not a safe food for your little pet.

In the following sections, we are going to explore the benefits and risks of popcorns as potential food for the guinea pigs.

Health Benefits of Guinea Pigs Eating Popcorn

There are literally no health benefits of guinea pigs eating popcorn. Something that can be considered a “benefit” is the fact that it could shorten their teeth. But you can put that aside immediately because guinea pigs eat hay all the time – hay helps with the length of their teeth. Moreover, this means nothing when you look at the risks a guinea pig faces when eating popcorn. 

Nutrition Facts of Popcorn

The snack that everybody eats when watching a movie is popcorn. For humans, it is considered to be the healthiest processed snack out there.

Sometimes too much sugar or salt is added to popcorns and they become really unnecessarily unhealthy. This is really bad for the guinea pigs.

If you look up the nutritional facts of popcorn, they do contain some amounts of good substances like fiber, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc.

Still, popcorns are not a recommended food for guinea pigs because popcorns are processed food, and their digestive system is simply not designed to process anything besides raw foods.

Risks to Consider When Feeding Popcorn to Guinea Pigs

A lot of us get very upset when a piece of popcorn gets between your teeth or gets stuck on your throat – we all know the sensation. If we can get uncomfortable with small pieces of popcorn, why wouldn’t guinea pigs? 

The little bits can get stuck on the inside of guinea pig’s first part of the digestive system and become very uncomfortable. If a piece of popcorn gets stuck on the side of the respiratory system it could eventually block the whole respiratory tube. 

This is very dangerous mostly because guinea pigs, unlike humans, cannot clearly explain their pain – even if they look bugged by something, they cannot verbally tell you what is going on with them. 

Besides the physical risks, there is another very important one. Sugar is found in pretty much everything that is processed, even if it does not seem like it. Feeding popcorn to your guinea pig means a lot of sugar for your guinea pig and in the long run excess sugar can definitely cause diabetes. 

Quick Facts On Popcorn

  • If you ever wonder what is a popcorn, the answer is right here: is a special type of corn that expands (“pops”) when it is exposed to heat, hence the name of “popcorn”. 
  • Popcorn became popular during The Great Depression because it was very cheap. 
  • 70% of the popcorn eaten in America is eaten at home, while the other 30% is eaten in movie or theaters. 
  • Popcorn contains more iron than eggs or roast beef, more protein than the rest of cereals and more fiber than potato chips or pretzels. 
  • A cup of actual plain popcorn equals to 31 calories. 

Before I let you go, one final thought on food. With food, you can’t ever be too careful which is why I get all guinea pig food from a reliable source such as Amazon. If you are not sure what to order but believe your little piggies deserve some great treats please check our Helpful Guide to the Best Guinea Pig Treats to get some ideas. We have also made a full list of foods that guinea pigs can and can’t eat (150+ Types of Foods). Be sure to also check our recommended products page for everything you will ever need to assure a happy life for your Guinea Pigs. Hope this information was helpful and you have found the answer you were looking for.

If you found this post useful, would you mind helping out by sharing it? Just click one of the handy social media sharing buttons below so others can also learn about guinea pig food and diet!